That Time David Haye Showed Up To The Press Conference.



Flashback | Lets take a look back at that time British Boxing legend David Haye showed up the Dereck Chisora vs. Klitschko press conference halfway drunk and began talking mad trash which turned into a stare down which turned into a full blown fist fight.





David Haye vs. Dereck Chisora, billed as Licensed to Thrill, was a controversial boxing grudge match that took place on 14 July 2012, at the Boleyn Ground, the home of West Ham United Football Club. The fight occurred despite Dereck Chisora having had his British boxing licensed removed by the British Boxing Board of Control in March 2012. David Haye won the fight by TKO in the 5th round. Dereck Chisora’s previous fight laid the foundation for his clash with Haye. That bout, on 18 February 2012, ended in a unanimous decision defeat by Vitali Klitschko while challenging for the World Boxing Council (WBC) Heavyweight title in the Olympiahalle, Munich.[2] The fight was overshadowed by controversy.


Chisora slapped Klitschko in the face at the weigh-in on 17 February.[3] Then, as he entered the ring on 18 February, Chisora spat water in the face of his opponent’s brother Wladimir Klitschko, before being defeated on a unanimous decision. David Haye was present in the crowd at the Klitschko vs Chisora post-fight press conference. During the conference, Haye began a verbal confrontation with both Vitali Klitschko and his manager Bernd Boente,[4] challenging the WBC World Heavyweight champion to a fight. Boente claimed that Haye had already turned down the opportunity to fight Vitali Klitschko and that he would not get a second opportunity. Chisora then intervened, calling Haye an “embarrassment”, to which Haye responded that Chisora had lost “three fights in a row”.


Haye continued his verbal assault. Chisora then left the stage to confront Haye face to face and, in front of the assembled media, the two British fighters and several bystanders became involved in a mass brawl. Haye threw punches at Chisora whilst holding a bottle in one hand, leading to Chisora to accuse Haye of glassing him. Chisora’s trainer Don Charles was also involved in the brawl and Haye’s long-time trainer Adam Booth received a cut to the forehead whilst trying to break things up; Booth would later accuse Chisora of striking him with a bottle during the confrontation, though the cause turned out to be a camera tripod that had been picked up and brandished by Haye at the end of the melee, whilst in the aftermath, Chisora was caught on video threatening to “shoot Haye”.


German authorities sought both Haye and Chisora following their involvement in the brawl. On 19 February, Dereck Chisora was arrested by German police at Munich Airport.[8] Chisora was later released without charge. On 21 February, both boxers released formal statements about the incident.[10] While Chisora “wholeheartedly” apologised for his involvement, Haye was less contrite, refusing to issue a direct apology for his involvement, claiming he had acted in self-defence. Subsequent to a hearing in March regarding the incident, Chisora had his British boxing license revoked, and the WBC initiated a motion to ban the British fighter indefinitely and fine him for his involvement.